May 1, 2013
Call for Art
MTA –Artists Unite Subway Elevator Poster Project
CALL FOR ARTWORK: Phase 4
Northern Manhattan Artists
Deadline: Tuesday, June 4, 2013 Midnight
Administrative Fee: $10
Dear Artists, Friends and Community Members,
The MTA-Artists Unite Subway Elevator Poster Project, a long standing effort by the community is happy to announce this fourth call for artwork to be placed in the subway elevators at the A-Line 184h St (181st. Subway Stop) & 190th St. Subway Stations.
This collaborative project acknowledges the uniqueness of our community and fulfills Artists Unite Mission to bring art to the public in creative new venues. The third set of posters can still be seen in the elevators.
We are looking for six (6) original artworks by artists residing in CB 12* to be produced as posters and placed, one in each of the 3 elevators per station. Work will be seen by thousands of residents and tourists en route to the Cloisters Museum. See Instructions below.
* CB 12 covers Manhattan north of 155th street, river to river.
- Material must be sensitive to and respectful of the diversity of the community.
- Materials may (but need not) reflect icons associated with the surrounding neighborhood (by way of example, local parks, places of interest, etc.); they may not include depictions of commercial establishments or photographs of individuals, pets, or private residences.
- Materials shall not include written or printed text.
- Materials shall not include messages that might reasonably be interpreted as an endorsement or advocacy of any political, religious, social or ethnic organization, cause, or belief nor contain logos or other symbols of same.
- The transit system is used by a diverse population, and accordingly, the materials shall be appropriate for viewing by persons of all ages and varying backgrounds. They shall not include content or references which might be reasonably construed as being of a sexual or violent nature.
- Proposed art must lend itself to reproduction as a two-dimensional poster, no more than 29.5 inches wide by 45 inches long, (vertical/portrait orientation).
- There will be a seven-inch strip running across the bottom of the poster on which will appear the MTA New York City Transit logo.
- Of the 6 posters frames, 5 are portrait, and 1 landscape. Please indicate the direction of your image.
Deadline for submissions: Tuesday, June 4, 2013, 12:00 Midnight. Previous Winners Not Eligible.
Posters will be exhibited for a minimum of six months.
Please submit no more than 4 images in JPG format for viewing. JPG files should be no more than 1440 pixels in any direction (e.g., 800 by 1440, or 1440 x 800 pixels). Include artist’s last name in the filename for each image (e.g., Rodriguez-landscape1.jpg).
Original work may be in any medium: painting, collage, sculpture, photography.
Selected artists will be contacted regarding image specifications for reproduction.
Send Images by e-mail to: email@example.com along with your address in CB12 (Manhattan north of 155th street, river to river). In the subject line enter Poster Contest 2013.
Mail the Administrative Fee: To be considered by the judges, you must mail in the Administrative Fee postmarked by Wednesday, June 5, 2013. Please send a check for $10.00 payable to Artists Unite and mail to: Artists Unite, 720 Fort Washington Ave. #2K, New York, NY 10040
For More Information:
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call: 212.740-9378
Artists Unite will convene a 3-7-person panel to select artwork. Final approval is by the MTA in accordance with listed guidelines.
We look forward to your entries.
Co-Director, Artists Unite